Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Why Wine Makes Us Happy

While a bit of alcohol can make us "happy",  the real mystery of wine is that it is in the aromas that wine gives off that the true experience of wine comes thru. 

Grape skins contain hundreds of compounds (phenols) that mimic many aromas found in Nature.  Wine then becomes a complex memory recall beverage.

For instance, many of us have a sensory memory of walking along a country road and eating black berries off the bush.  Yum!  So when I "get" black berries aromas in wine, I get a smile on my face.  I have made a connection between my own experiences in Nature and the wine I am tasting today.  Now if you add in some good friends and a beautiful setting (Say, on one of my wine tours!) you are making another great memory.

Finally, when you have a chance to taste that wine you just had at a latter date, you create a circle of happy memories.  Moral of the story is to listen to your past while in the present with your wine so you can find better times in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment